2 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 3346 times)  

I am moving these comments out of the Daily Drill Eleven Section. It starts with a question from Aberdeen.
-------------------------------
Good stuff.
I?d like to see drill threads for age groups. Like U8, U10, U12, U14, U18+
Or groups of ages.
The drills you posts are amazing, it?s just so much info. The new thread is Drill Section 11, so to find drills that are age appropriate Id have to go through all 11 threads. Unless Im searching the wrong way. And with the season coming up could be good for coaches to see age appropriate drills when putting together a season plan. Now is when coaches should be putting the season plan together

Thanks again! Love this site

John

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin
By: Likes:

John the entire ABC program is organized in progressions according to the letter of the practice formations. So certain letters are suitable for certain ability groups. I will give a brief overview.

A - Skating and individual skill work with and without a puck. Beginning players use A exercises to learn the skills and get a lot of reps while advanced players do the A exercises for warm up and reviiew.

B - B exercises are skills you do with a partner or group of players to work on passing, shooting, scoring, angling, checking. Again beginners learn the skill and advanced players review and perfect the skill with B exercises. So A and B are fundamental to all age groups and required activities for learning skills.

C - C are game situations from 1-1 to 5-5. These drills practice how to play a 1-1, 2-1, 1-2, 3-2, 2-3, etc.. The goal of the attacker is to score and the goal of the defender is to stop the attack and regain the puck. These drills are used after players have some conpetency in the skills learned doing the A and B exercises.

D - D is the key to this learning system. D designates games and they are coded aaccording to hhow many nets and what area of the ice is used. i.e. D1 is full ice with two nets. D2 is cross ice with two nets while D4 is a one zone game using one net. The D games should be used at every age level. Modify the rules stressing skills or team play ideas. i.e. I just got off the ice and we played 3 D2 games at once in 3 zones. One game required 3 passes before you could score, another the good habit of taking at least 3 hard strides to open ice before you could make a play. For a team play concept we practice the breakout by having a joker below the defensive blue line and the attacking team had to regroup with the joker before they could score.

DT - DT are transition games using the same areas of the ice as the D games and work on the same situations as the C drills but only one puck is used and the active players get eithe active, passive or both passive and active support from new players. there are no whistles and the play is continuous. (as in the DT Continuous 2-2 transition game I posted yesterday.
Transition games can be introduced at the same time the players are ready for the C game situation drills.. They work on the same situations but the play is completed because they fight for rebounds and the defenders must break out.

E - Shootouts and contests. E acticities are good for all age groups.

T - T are the team play drills and game situations in one zone that are used to practice Team Play such as the power play or penalty killing. T is for more advanced levels but all teams need some sort of play when they are on the ice so coaches of young teams can use these activities to introduce team play but not spend too much time with it. At the higher levels like pro at least 50% of the time will be spent of the T acticities.

So beginning players should use A-B-D-E

Progress to A-B-C-D-E

Advance to A-B-C-D-DT-E--T

The ABC manual one has the progression for level 0 (non skater) -1 - 2 which focus on A-B-D-E activities. Book two has all seven levels 0-1-2-3-4-5-6. It is the national development program for Austria and is also used in Finland. The idea of this site is to supplement and continually updat the manuals.

The video fo the drills and games for book one is in the video section of this site.

You can search for activities by typing in A for the A that has been posted. B for partner skills etc. You can also type in thisns like shooting or passing and get a list of posting.

In the file section I posted pdf booklets of the A-B-C-D-DT-E-F-G-T drills and games that I have posted over the last years up to about the end of April.

To get the entire program you would need book two plus these booklets that I just mentioned. I have not posted levels 3-4-5-6 on this site.

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin
2 posts :: Page 1 of 1