2 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 3110 times)  

There are not too many out there who are supporters of the Trap. While I am honored to be coaching a first year ACHA team this year, my gut says that this particular team would be wise if they add it to this season's Play Book. Claude Julien did some interesting things with the N-Zone trap in this years playoff with both wingers wide and back pressure coming straight down the middle. Do you guys have any ideas that can make the trap fun yet effective? Any articles on the Do's and Dont's? Many thanks !

Chatty
By: Likes:

Pops there are many kinds of traps. The main difference between them is the question. Are we trapping to pressure or to contain.

A contain trap is very boring for the players and fans. One player usually goes in and tries to cut the ice in half but a simple d to d eliminates him and the other 4 stand in the neutral zone.

A pressure trap is different. As an example the 1-2-2 that you talk about. The first player cuts the ice in half and tries to deny the d to d and force the puck up the boards. The strong and week side players skate wide taking those passes away. One D will lock up with the centre cutting across or they will at least play a tight gap. The idea is to shut down the attack and outnumber them on one side of the ice. i.e. If a pass is made to the wing he gets immediate pressure from the forward on the boards while the weak side forward comes to the middle and F1 denies the pass wing back to D. The weak side D covers their weak side F. So now 4 defenders are on one side of the ice with 3 above the puck and one giving back pressure.

It is the story here of the two Sutters. When Darryl coached they were fun to watch with the pressure trap. Now they use a contain trap and I didn't know whether to watch or to fall asleep.

It is interesting to watch the world cup football that is happening from South Africa now. Most teams play a kind of trap where the first player pressures from the D side and another player supports creating a double team on the ball.

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin
2 posts :: Page 1 of 1