4 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 8432 times)  

I came across a couple a couple files online that I wanted to share.

The first is from the Slovakian Hockey Federation website. The site has a lot of pretty good links and different videos I haven't gone through yet but the attached file is the practices of the different teams at the 2007 U20 World Junior Tournament. They are broken down by team and the descriptions are in Slovak. There are at the link listed here too:

http://www.hockeyslovakia.sk/sk/clanok/trening-vrcholovych-hracov

The second is a file I found on the Swedish Hockey site. I have had a very hard time finding Scotty Bowman coaching material and have spent a lot of time looking for some (If anyone has any please post or direct me where to go!) but this is a 30 page document written by Bjorn Kinding who sat with Bowman and Barry Smith for multiple interviews. Of course, it was in Swedish so I finally found a site that would translate the entire document while leaving most of the format. Bowman talks about his coaching philosophy, how he coaches during games, training, etc. Very interesting but a lot of the translation is spotty. I'll post the untranslated original and in the next post attached the translated version.

Translated version is below.
-------------------------------------------------------

Eric they are reversed. The one below is in Swedish and the one that says untranslated is in englsh. Scotty is an interesting guy to listen to. He gave another talk about bench management at the conference during the 2005 Worlds in Vienna. I also sat at a table with a bunch of coaches and listened to him tell stories.

Tom,

Despite the lack of posting, I, along with others I'm sure, are still reading your posts daily. I appreciate all the dedication you have to the growth of coaching education.

Attached is a translated file of the World Junior 2007 Practices. Basically, the notes are just translated.

Eric,

Thanks for the handout. It contains a lot of good practice ideas. 95 pages of drills from the major hockey countries - 3 to 5 per page. It is similar to what I am doing here but I get a short video and then do the diagram and description. Both are good comparisons of how different countries teach the same hockey concepts. I am not that smart so I find the video demonstrations really help. It is very difficult to make a multi-stage drill diagram that is easily understood.

The site has really changed since last summer. There has been no discussion about any coaching topics and it oftern feels like I am posting into a big Cyber Void.

When I look at the site stats I see 10.5 million total hits and with an average of between 10-15 000 hits per day; so I know people are looking at the site. (just looked and it is down to 6,000 in the last 24 hours) The postings at least motivate me to keep up to date with coaching ideas and it is nice to read that the material is appreciated.

The goal of this site is to help coaches around the hockey world with on and off ice practices. High level coaches probably don't need much help but new ideas never hurt. Coaches who volunteer to run teams and either haven't played much or even if you play you don't have a lot of ways to teach what you know are the main focus of the ABC site.

The other reason for me doing this is Juhani Wahlsten and myself wrote the Hockey Coaching ABC manuals with a coding system and a phlosophy. The German version is the national program for Austria and the Finnish version is a required part of their coach training program. The internet is a way of continuing this philosophy as the game changes and I put the new ideas I come across into our coding sytem. I have thousands of drills like the 400 you just sent that are not coded and they are very difficult to find when I need them. Having zillions of drills that are not coded in some manner is like a library simply putting books on shelves with either no order or in very vague categories.

I watch parts or all of a few hundred practices every year and it is very unusual to see transititon games. Erkka Westerlund (he was just re-appointed Olympic Coach for Finland) came to Canada for haif a year in about 94 and wrote the book on transition with the complementing videos. Transition games never got traction here. I can't even imagine running practices without transition games. The coach is allowed to coach instead of being a traffic cop (I have changed that as well in drills and very seldom blow the whistle - players can see when the previous group is done as well as I can and it gets their brains more involved than being like Pavlov's Dog.) The game is played with one puck and 5 or 6 transitions per minute. It puzzles me why coaches are so reluctant to use transition games. They are coded DT her (D is games T is transition).

Anyway just babbling along here about coaching methods as I wait to leave for my noon hockey class. (quite a challenge; no goalies, 12 pretty good players and 6 beginners)

'The Game is the Greatest Coach' and 'Enjoy the Game' are the two themes of the ABC of Coaching program.

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin
4 posts :: Page 1 of 1